Welcome

Thanks for stopping by Oldman's Cantankerous Point of View. For more Cantankerousness visit my new blog,
OldmanBlurtsOut, My Cantankerous Point of View. Thank You!

Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Kitchen Sink

Many times I have heard the expression, “everything but the kitchen sink.” This tends to mean everything under the sun or every possible object whether it is needed or not. I have heard it in conversation for example that a store has everything but the kitchen sink or in moving be sure to take everything but the kitchen sink. But why did they pick the kitchen sink? They could have just as easily picked just about anything, “everything but the lamp” or “everything but the toilet”, could have easily been used. Well, the lamp wouldn’t have worked because it is easy to take. This expression became popular in the late 1940’s after WWII. The sink was difficult to carry out because it is connected to pipes and usually bolted down. So they could have said the toilet but I guess people don’t really like to talk about the toilet so the sink would have to suffice.

I guess the problem I have with the kitchen sink is not the sink at all. It is the dishes that are the problem. Having to wash and dry dishes can be a pain in the neck, and back, and legs, and ###, we won’t say that word. The invention of the dishwasher is a wonderful thing. Now all they need to do is invent something that will load the dishwasher and put the clean dishes away.

Of course what is really irritating are not the dishes but people letting the dirty dishes build up in the sink or leaving chunks of food on their plates for others to have to scrape it off into the garbage. Personally, I like to do all of the dishes for the day at one time. Of course for me, one days worth of dishes does not even come close to filling up the dishwasher so I load the dishwasher once a day after dinner. I like to rinse the dishes off before I put them into the dishwasher. I don’t trust the machine to do the work. I find if I do, I end up having to clean them a second time because I will find small food particles on them. I know some dishwashers are better than others so you do what you want to do. I’m just ranting here.

So why am I talking about the kitchen sink. That’s easy, because when I first started writing this blog I said it would include everything including the kitchen sink. So this is it, my article to include the kitchen sink. Don’t you like the pretty pictures? LOL they are not pictures of my sink, I have one of those standard stainless steel double-sided sinks. It has a garbage disposal on one side but doesn’t have a sprayer; I wish it did. Luckily, it is really easy for me to keep up the sink now that I am healthier (see below) and don’t have problems like I mentioned here with people and their dirty dishes, I used to and it can be really frustrating. So, go do the dishes and have a great day!

(Read OLDMANBLURTSOUT™ to follow my Journey to a Happier and Healthier Lifestyle.)

3 comments:

  1. A nice little Sunday afternoon read it was for me.Funny,entertaining and a little bit of a history lesson in the mix.Good stuff! Yes,I liked the pretty pictures!...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not the only one that washing dishes caused a lot of pain. I just got my first dish washer and I love it so much. It's very interesting were the saying came from, "everything but the kitchen sink". I had wondered many times when I would hear someone say that, where did it come from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry I wasn't clear as to its origin. I have since done some further research. The phrase comes from World War II when everything possible was used to contribute to the war effort...all metal was used for the U.S arsenal. The only objects left out were porcelain kitchen sinks. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I have been forced to begin moderating comments because a spammer is attacking my blog. Thank you for your understanding. hAv a Gr8 dAy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails